Top 3 reasons we test coffee for mold

Prefer to listen to this article? 

Mold can be a significant problem for coffee beans because it can greatly impact the flavor and quality of the coffee as well as have significant negative health impacts. The good news is that, if you’re buying Specialty Grade coffee, it’s unlikely to be contaminated with mold. That’s because the SCAA (Specialty Coffee Association of America) and licensed Q-graders who inspect and taste the coffee would not grade it high enough to designate it as Specialty Coffee. Still, we prefer to verify every coffee harvest we receive to ensure that it’s mold-free.


These are the top 3 reasons we send our coffee for 3rd party lab tests.

1. Ensure excellent taste

As mentioned, mold can cause coffee beans to develop off-flavors and aromas, which will make the coffee taste bad. One of the things people say they love about Biodynamic Coffee is the taste – it's no accident. We take our coffee seriously.

2. Health benefits 

Mold can also be a health hazard. Some types of mold produce mycotoxins, which are toxic compounds that can cause serious health problems if consumed in large quantities. There are many health benefits associated with drinking coffee. Why negate these with mycotoxin contaminated coffee?

3. Shelf life

Mold can also affect the storage and transport of coffee beans. If mold is present, it can cause the beans to spoil more quickly, resulting in a loss of quality and freshness – who wants that? Many of our customers say they find that our coffee retains it's freshness and flavors longer than other coffees.  We certainly agree.


It costs more to test every harvest we receive for mold but we think it’s worth it to make sure our coffee has great tasting flavors and aromas, and that it’s the cleanest and healthiest coffee you can buy!


More on mycotoxins

Mycotoxins are toxic compounds produced by certain types of mold, which can have negative health impacts. The negative health impacts of mycotoxins can vary depending on the type of mycotoxin and the amount consumed.

Some of the negative health impacts of mycotoxins include:

Immunotoxicity: Mycotoxins can suppress the immune system, making the body more susceptible to infections and disease.
Carcinogenicity: Some mycotoxins have been classified as carcinogens, which means that they can increase the risk of cancer.
Nephrotoxicity: Mycotoxins can damage the kidneys, leading to kidney failure and other serious health problems.
Hepatotoxicity: Mycotoxins can damage the liver, leading to liver failure and other serious health problems.
Neurotoxicity: Mycotoxins can damage the nervous system, leading to neurological problems such as tremors, seizures, and cognitive impairment.
Reproductive toxicity: Mycotoxins can affect the reproductive system, leading to infertility, miscarriages, and other serious health problems.
Acute toxicity: Some mycotoxins can cause acute symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and other symptoms that can be severe, depending on the amount consumed.


Some people may be more sensitive to mycotoxins than others, and long-term exposure can increase the risk of negative health impacts. So, it's important to take steps to reduce the risk of exposure to mycotoxins, and avoiding products that may be contaminated.



HEALTH & LIFESTYLE



Keep me updated
News, articles, events, & more
  • © 2023 Holistic Roasters Inc.
"; window.print(); document.body.innerHTML = oldPage; location.reload(); $(".waio__nt-overlay").hide(); }); // Netterm end